Culture and education
Until the XVI th century the inhabitants of Kibéd were Roman-Catholic. During the time of the Reformation in the XVI th century most of the inhabitants converted to the Reformed religion and being a majority they took over the Catholic church. The Catholic minority continued to gather in private houses for some time and tried to preserve their religion but as time went by they also became the adherents of the reformed congregation.
The first church of the village was built of stone in the year 1552 by the Catholic congregation. During the Reformation in 1640 when most of the inhabitants were members of the Reformed congregation the church was renovated and a beautiful tower was built to it. In the kuruc wars of the year 1709 the church was set on fire and burnt down completely. In 1710 at the cost of the congregation’s sacrificial work it was rebuilt. A very nice old gate remained from the former church. As the population was growing continuously between the years 1781-1782 they renovated the church and even expanded the building with a side-wing. In 1786 a stone wall was built around the church. The church as we see it today was built between 1820 and 1926. In 1826 another side-wing was attached to it. The other side buildings of the church were built in the following years: the mill of the church in 1827, the brick burner machine in 1847, a store/container for grains in 1875.
The church organ from Kibéd which still functions with its initial wooden pipes was made by the famous székely Bodor Péter in 1846-47.
There is another congregational home in Kibéd built by the adherents of the Baptist church. The Baptist church was built in 1930 by the Baptist congregation. After the II nd World War the Baptists left the village. The church was taken over and used by the Adventist congregation until the year 2000. In that year the Baptist preacher returned to the village and reorganized the congregation. Nowadays the church is a home both for the services of the Baptist and Adventist congregations.
The bell has played an important role in the lives of the inhabitants of Kibéd. They were proud of the church bell sound. It can be heard from longer distances, it always signals something. It did not only call the followers to church. It used to tell the particular point of time for everyday activities. When the bells rang at noon the housewives used to set out to the fields and take lunch for the other family members who were working in the fields.
When the bells rang in the afternoon they used to feed their animals and then go to church. This also meant the end of field work for the day. The bell used to ring in order to take farewell from the old year and greet the new year.
The bell also signals a believer’s death. If the dead person is male they start ringing with the bigger bell, and continue with the same one after a short break, if the person is female they always ring the smaller bell with a high sound.