Geographic location

Kibéd is a medium size commune on the right bank of the Kis-Küküllő river. It is 370 m above sea level, in the East of the Transylvanian Plateau, in the heart of Transylvania. It is the home of the red onion production. It is 2,5 km long and 700 m wide (according to statistics from the year 1999).


Orbán Balázs describes it as follows: Kibéd is the biggest and most beautiful village in Marosszék, which lies at the flow of Uron and Tabika streams into the Küküllő river.he states (in 1860) that the boundaries of Kibéd are 9305,26 acres, out of which 2565,94acres are fields, 1205,58 are mowable land and the rest are forests, grazing ground and barren land.


It borders on the Síklódi mountains (1025 m)  in the East, Bekecs (1079 m) in the Northeast, the settlement lies on the Kis-Küküllő river. The geographical characteristics determine the commune and have greatly influenced and contributed to the development of the commune all through the ages.

Our settlement has the role of a channel bonding the Szováta és Erdőszentgyörgy Plateaus.


The national road A no 13 winds across Kibéd, it binds Erdőszentgyörgy and Szováta and leads to Parajd and Székelyudvarhely. The same road leads to Balavásár but in the opposite direction where it connects with the E 15 European road which leads to Marosvásárhely towards the Northwest and to Segesvár towards the South. The most important railway of the territory/valley of the Kis-Küküllő river cuts across our settlement, thanks to which the surrounding settlements Parajd, Dicső and Balázsfalva are very easy to reach.


Geographically it is situated in the East of Mures County, 50 km from Marosvásárhely and 10 km from the Europe-wide wellknown spa Szováta.


The total surface of the settlement is 380 km2 out of these 167 hectares are inhabited territories and the rest, pastures, fields, orchards, vineyards and forests.

Between 1968-2003 the settlement administratively belonged to Makfalva. Since 2003 it has been the communal centre.

Kibéd is situated between the following coordinates: 46 degrees, 56’ és 33’’N and 24 degrees, 96’ 67’’E.

Kibéd’s Fauna

Its fauna is determined by the characteristics of plateau hills. It is 380 m above sea level on the right bank of the Kis-Küküllő river, surrounded by mountains with the height over 450m and is covered mainly with deciduous forests, partly with coniferous forests. The coniferous forests do not characterize this area, this means they must have been planted sometime between 1945-1960 and then in the years 1970-1980. They make up 1% of the forest’s fauna. The average age of the trees is 68, we can proudly say that we also have trees which are more than 100 years old.

98% of the forests nowadays are in private ownership, the remaining 2% belong to the state.On the bank of the Kis-Küküllő river we can find willows and poplars.

 There are different kinds of shrubs under the trees: hazelnut, rosehip, hawthorn and blackthorn.The grassy layer consists of moss, forest plants and flowers.

Out of 1066.43 hectares of total grassy area there are 703.96 hectares mowable land and 362.47 grazing ground, used for grazing sheep and cattle.

Last update: 13.06.2019